Town of Newburgh Indiana, Est. 1803 - National Register of Historic Places, National Main Street Community, Ohio River Scenic Byway  

Property Codes


Please contact Town Hall with questions or concerns.

Town Manager
Phone: 812.853.3578

23 West Jennings
P. O. Box 6
Newburgh, IN 47629

Zoning Administrator
Phone: 812.853.2728

Newburgh Police Department
Phone: 911 or 812.853.1723

Our neighborhoods create a visual perception of our community. It is our goal to strive together with the citizens of Newburgh to ensure the safety and health of everyone.

For the protection of the Town's residents the Council has adopted certain codes and standards.

These include:

  • General standards for fire safety
  • Exterior and interior maintenance standards
  • Codes relating to plumbing, electrical, heating and air conditioning and structural integrity
  • Dilapidated, deteriorated or otherwise damaged structures

If the owner of property is found to be in violation of a Town Ordinance, a notice of correction is issued by the Zoning Administrator or Town Administrative Manager requiring the mitigation or remediation of the existing violation within a specified period of time.

If you are planning to make any improvements to your property, you will need an improvement location permit.

In addition, if you are going to expend more than $1000.00 on a structure, on plumbing, electrical or heating, ventilation and air conditioning, then you will need a building permit.

If you are building a new building, adding onto an existing building, building a new sidewalk, driveway or patio, you will also need to acquire a drainage permit.

Construction of a new house or business, or addition to an existing commercial structure, will also probably require a sewer tap-in to be paid to the sewer department.

These requirements apply to residential as well as commercial property.

In addition to the improvement location permit, you may also need a permit if you are going to install a swimming pool [the Town must enforce the Indiana Department of Health regulations regarding swimming pools] or a fence on your property.

Accessory buildings and structures are those detached buildings and structures on your property other than the house in which you live. These include "yard barns" or other types of storage structures. All accessory buildings and structures are required to be affixed to the ground and may require building and drainage permits before they are installed or constructed.

While recognizing that signage is useful for our business community, commercial signage is not allowed in residential areas. Signage in commercial areas is strictly regulated by Town Ordinance, and a sign permit is required to install a sign in, or on, a commercial structure.

  • Weeds, grasses and certain plants are controlled in Newburgh as to height so as to reduce rodent shelters, pollen, bugs and general unsightliness. All grasses, weeds and plants not planted to be cultivated which exceed 12 inches in height are subject to being cut by the Town and the cost of such work billed back to the property owner or placed as a lien against the property.
  • Abandoned and junk cars pose not only an eyesore for neighbors, but a breeding place for vermin, and potentially an attractive nuisance for children. Junk cars or abandoned vehicles, on or off the right of way, will be tagged and towed away at the owner's expense. Newburgh also prohibits unlicenced vehicles from sitting on the Town's streets or on private property if they are visible from a public street.
  • Residential trash and recyclables are collected curbside by the Town's contractor. Trash is picked up every Tuesday, while recyclables are collected every other Tuesday with the Town divided into "A" and "B" sides for recycling pickup. Yard waste is picked up curbside with the regular trash pick up on Tuesday. Accumulations of trash on private property is prohibited by the Town's ordinances.

TOWN COUNCIL: The Town Council is the elected body of the Town of Newburgh charged with appointing the agency and staff members responsible for administering the land use plans of the Town, as well as being the final authority on issues of rezoning, creation of historic districts and other like legislative actions relating to land use.

The Town has several staff persons, as well as boards and agencies, who have different roles to play in dealing with permits and land use. These individuals and agencies are there to answer your questions about land use in the Town.

They include:

ZONING ADMINISTRATOR: The zoning administrator is the staff member charged with the responsibility to determine, at the outset, what permits you may need. This officer is also responsible to enforce the Town's land use ordinances. The zoning administrator is your first stop on the "permit road" in the Town.

BUILDING INSPECTOR: The building inspector is the staff member charged with determining if your construction meets the Town's building codes and other building and maintenance standards.

PLANNING COMMISSION: The Planning Commission is an agency of Town government created by state statute and is charged with the responsibility to recommend a comprehensive land use plan for the Town and any changes in the zoning map (called rezoning) to the Town Council. The Planning Commission also administers the Town's Subdivision Control Ordinance as it regulates the subdivision of real estate into separate parcels.

BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS: The Board of Zoning Appeals is also an agency of the Town created by statute. Its role is to hear and determine requests for variances from the Town's zoning code, to hear and determine requests for special use exceptions, and to hear appeals from decisions of the building commissioner or zoning administrator.

HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION: The Historic Preservation Commission is an agency of the Town charged with the duty to protect and preserve the historical heritage of Newburgh by regulating the construction or destruction of buildings or sites in an historic district. You should check with the zoning administrator to determine if your real estate is in such a district.

Please call the Zoning Administrator's office, the Newburgh Police Department, or the Town Manager to report any violations. Keep in mind that a majority of these violations did not occur overnight; therefore, a remedy may not be available overnight. Legal requirements regarding the notification of the property owner occasionally can delay action on a complaint. Town staff will make every effort to solve the problem in a timely fashion.